1. Sharpen your Technical skills- This is the time for fresher to sharpen your technical skills. Try to learn some advanced technologies and tools. Brush up your concepts. Join some crash courses which add some values to your resume.
2. Improve your Communication skills- I have mentioned so many times before that your communication skills leave a very first impression in front of interviewer. So improve your communication skills, improve your letter writing skills and presentation skills.
3. Training & Internship- Try to join a training or internship program. Public sector companies like HAL, NAL, ISRO and DRDO do hire trainees based on requirements, where fresher’ can get hands on experience by working in live projects.
4. Explore Open Source- Now a days open source is the best way to get online projects to hands on. You will find a lot of Open Source Projects at some software projects site ‘Source Forge’ (http://sourceforge.net/). Fresh engineers can download the corresponding codes and documentations to get better understanding of these projects. One of the great opportunities is to look for limitations in the current release (mentioned in the documentation) and work towards enhancing the software by fixing it. It will not add any financial value to you but, will add technical skills to your resume.
5. Explore others sector for job- Except your main stream companies explore other sectors where you can get a job, like public sector, banking sector etc. You can try for teaching option as well.
6. Comminucate With Group – It is best way to communicate with group or seniours person which is already work in company .